GREENEST HOSPITAL DOWN UNDER
Green is the color of healing at Melbourne’s inspirational new Royal Children’s Hospital.
In what was a historic occasion for the state of Victoria, the Melbourne Royal Children’s Hospital (RCH) moved into state-of-the-art facilities in November 2011. The new RCH is Victoria’s largest medical complex, featuring 85 percent single inpatient rooms, an integrated education center, and twice the research space as the old hospital it replaced. Uniquely designed as a stimulating environment for children, the sun-flooded building offers additional services such as a two-story aquarium and a promenade with shops and cafés. Its inspiring design is matched by a range of advanced eco-features making it the greenest hospital in Australia. The billion-dollar redevelopment is funded as a private-public partnership between the Department of Health, the RCH and the Children’s Health Partnership consortium. KONE was chosen as a key equipment supplier for its ability to meet the requirements of the design specifications and its high-level focus on eco-efficiency. Awarded a Green Star Rating by the Australian Green Building Council, the RCH produces 45 percent less greenhouse gases than a conventional hospital thanks to its energy-efficient solutions, including rooftop solar panels that provide 40 percent of the facility’s hot water and an 800 kilowatt biomass boiler for renewable heating. KONE’s elevators, which feature regenerative KONE EcoDisc® technology, complete the eco-efficient package.
- Completed: 2011
- Architect: Billard Leece Partnership and Bates Smart joint venture BLBS
- Building owner: State Government of Victoria Public Private Partnership
- Developer: Children’s Health Partnership
- Contractor: Bovis Lend Lease
- 18 KONE Minispace™ elevators
- 1 KONE MiniSpace™ high-rise elevator
- 2 KONE MonoSpace® Special elevators
- 6 KONE MonoSpace® Special elevators
- 2 KONE MonoSpace® TranSys™ elevators
- KONE E-Link™ monitoring system
- KONE Care™ Maintenance Service